After UberX comes UberXl. While it’s great to start off on the lowest platform, sometimes it’s time for an upgrade. Or maybe you already have a SUV so it would only make sense to know the UberXL car requirements.
Honestly, there isn’t a big difference in requirements between the 2 different platforms, but it’s always good to know the specifics. So, read on to learn the vehicle requirements for UberXL.
If you would like to see the car requirements for other Uber services just click below on any of the services you would like to drive for.
What Is UberXL
UberXL is the next Uber platform for ride sharing slightly higher up than UberX. You are still driving a non-luxury car, but you are now able to pick up a few more people driving an SUV instead of a standard car
While you will be spending a little more on gas for your vehicle, you will also be making slightly higher fares from the trips you take as a driver.
Uber Car Requirements
Each Uber service has a different set of car requirements. UberXL, the low cost option for a large group of people, will accept most 4-door vehicles providing it is of a certain age and can seat 6 people (excluding the driver).
The requirements aren’t much more than UberX except for the fact you need to be able to seat more people.
Every person that wants to be an Uber driver must meet these basic requirements regardless of the Uber service you choose to drive for:
- You must be 21 years of age or older.
- You must Have a U.S. Driver license for at least a year.
- You must have an in-state Drivers License.
- You must have in-state license plates
- Have current car registration
- Car Insurance reaching the minimal state requirements (Name must show on your policy)
- You must have a clean driving record.
- You must pass a criminal background check.
UberXL Car Requirements:
Below is a list of the car requirements to qualify to be an UberXL driver:
- Model Year: Must be 2001 or newer*
- 2001 or newer: Los Angeles, Chicago
- 2005 or newer: San Francisco, New Jersey
- Body Type: Any with 4 full, independently opening doors
- Seating: Must seat 6 passengers (excluding the driver)
- No cosmetic damage
- No commercial branding or taxi color paint jobs
- No rental vehicles
- No large passenger vans or commercial/Heavy Duty trucks
- No marked, taxi, or salvage titled vehicle
- Must pass the Uber car inspection
* Car year requirements vary by city and are subject to change at Uber’s discretion.
Recommended Cars For UberXL
While most cars are accepted into UberXL that meet the above requirements, it’s still good to have an idea of what kind of car you should use for the platform. Below is a list of recommended cars and a few restricted cars as well.
- Acura MDX
- Buick Enclave
- Chevrolet Tahoe
- Chevrolet Traverse
- Chrysler Aspen
- Chrysler Pacifica
- Chrysler Town & Country
- Dodge Caravan
- Dodge Durango
- Dodge Journey
- Ford Explorer
- Ford Flex
- GMC Acadia
- GMC Yukon
- Honda Pilot
- Honda Odyssey
- Hyundai Entourage
- Hyundai Santa Fe
- Hyundai Veracruz
- Kia Borrego
- Kia Sedona
- Kia Sorento
- Mazda CX-9
- Nissan Armada
- Nissan Pathfinder
- Nissan Quest
- Toyota Highlander
- Toyota Land Cruiser
- Toyota Sequoia
- Toyota Sienna
- Volkswagen Routan
- Volkswagen Toureg
- Ford Crown Victoria
- Mercury Grand Marquis
- Chevrolet Spark
- Taxis or other marked vehicles
- Full-sized vans (e.g. GMC Savanna, Ford Transit)
Both restricted and recommended vehicles are subject to change and can vary depending on the city.
So there you have it. Those are the car requirements for being an UberXL driver. You’ll be driving more people and potentially making more money.
Want to drive for Uber? Learn how with these three easy steps. If you have any questions leave a comment below.