Becoming an Uber driver is great, but you need to know the requirements for your vehicle in order to know what is acceptable to drive and what is not.
The most basic and most common category people fall under is being an Uber driver for Uberx. This page will show you the vehicle requirements for UberX.
If you would like to see the car requirements for other Uber services just click below on any of the services you would like to drive for.
What Is UberX
UberX is the most common service for requesting a ride to be picked up. This service is a low cost option (cheaper than a taxi).
Instead of requesting rides by hailing a cab or calling for a taxi, you now can simply request a ride through your phone app and typically be picked up within minutes.
This benefits suburban areas immensely. You now have Uber drivers picking you up in areas where you would never be able to hail for a cab because they don’t drive down your street.
Some examples of vehicles that you would drive in would be a Toyota Prius, Toyota Camry, or Hyundai Sonata which is what I use for Uber.
Uber Car Requirements
Each Uber service has a different set of car requirements. UberX, the most basic Uber service will accept basically any 4-door car providing it is of a certain age.
However, when you decide to drive for Uber Black, a more professional car service, there will only be a handful of different types of cars that will be accepted.
Every person that wants to be an Uber driver must meet these basic requirements regardless of the Uber service you choose to drive for:
- You must be 21 years of age or older.
- You must Have a U.S. Driver license for at least a year.
- You must have an in-state Drivers License.
- You must have in-state license plates
- Have current car registration
- Car Insurance reaching the minimal state requirements (Name must show on your policy)
- You must have a clean driving record.
- You must pass a criminal background check.
UberX Car Requirements
Below is a list of the car requirements to qualify to be an UberX driver:
- Model Year: Must be 2002 or newer*
- 2002 or newer: Los Angeles, San Francisco
- 2005 or newer: New Jersey
- 2008 or newer: New York
- Body Type: Any with 4 full, independently opening doors
- Seating: Must have seats AND seat belts for 4 passengers (excluding driver)
- Must Have current car registration
- No Cosmetic damage or missing pieces
- No rental vehicles
- No marked, taxi, or salvage titled vehicles
- No commercial branding or taxi color paint jobs
- No large passenger vans or commercial/Heavy Duty trucks
- Must pass the Uber car inspection
* Car year requirements vary by city and are subject to change at Uber’s discretion.
Recommended Cars For UberX
While most cars are accepted into UberX that meet the above requirements, it’s still good to have an idea of what kind of car you should use for the platform. Below is a list of recommended cars and a few restricted cars as well.
- Chevrolet Cruze
- Chevrolet Malibu
- Ford Fusion
- Ford Escape
- Honda Accord
- Honda Civic
- Hyundai Elantra
- Hyundai Sonata
- Hyundai Tucson
- Kia Optima
- Mazda MAZDA3
- Nissan Altima
- Nissan Sentra
- Toyota Prius
- Toyota Corolla
- Toyota Camry
- Volkswagen Jetta
- Volvo S40
- And many more…
- Ford Crown Victoria
- Mercury Grand Marquis
- Chevrolet Spark (Approval possible with 5 seats and 4 door handles)
- Taxis or other marked vehicles
- Full-sized vans (e.g. GMC Savanna, Ford Transit)
Both restricted and recommended vehicles are subject to change and can vary depending on the city.
So there you have it. Those are the car requirements for being an UberX driver. Starting on this platform is my best recommendation if you decide you want to drive for Uber. If you have any questions leave a comment below.