This is where the requirements to drive become a lot stricter and a lot more expensive. While some cars from Uber Select will qualify for Uber Black, you still have to hold a higher standard to drive on this platform.
But, just like how the platforms before had higher fares, this ride-share platform will theoretically make you even more money.
This page will be dedicated to showing you what the Uber Black car requirements are to qualify to drive.
If you would like to see the car requirements for other Uber services just click below on any of the services you would like to drive for.
What Is Uber Black
Uber Black is what can sometimes be called “The Original Uber”. You won’t be driving a Prius or Camry if your on this platform. It’s a lot more luxurious and all the cars are required to be black. Hence the name.
Uber Car Requirements
Each Uber service has a different set of car requirements. Uber Black is meant for the more professional drivers out there, which is also the reason why it cost more to use as a passenger.
Every person that wants to be an Uber driver must meet these basic requirements regardless of the Uber service you choose to drive for:
- You must be 21 years of age or older.
- You must Have a U.S. Driver license for at least a year.
- You must have an in-state Drivers License.
- You must have in-state license plates
- Have current car registration
- Car Insurance reaching the minimal state requirements (Name must show on your policy)
- You must have a clean driving record.
- You must pass a criminal background check.
Uber Black Car Requirements
Below is a list of the car requirements to qualify to be an Uber Black driver:
- Model Year: Must be 2010 or newer*
- 2010 or newer: New Jersey, Atlanta, Houston
- 2012 or newer: San Francisco, Washington D.C, Seattle
- 2013 or newer: Los Angeles
- 2014 or newer: Chicago
- Body Type: Must have 4 independently opening doors
- Vehicles must be in great condition
- You must have commercial car insurance
- You must have a Transportation Charter Party Carrier permit (TCP)
- Most cities you need an airport permit
- Vehicles must be a sedan, crossover SUV or full-size SUV
- Black exterior
- Black interior – leather or vegan leather interior required
- Comfortably seats 4+ passengers (excluding the driver)
- No commercial branding or taxi color paint jobs
- No marked, taxi, or salvage titled vehicles
- No rental vehicles
- Must pass the Uber car inspection
* Car year requirements vary by city and are subject to change at Uber’s discretion.
Eligible Cars For Uber Black
Before you even get to the eligible car you need to have higher standards with the black colored car and commercial car insurance. So, of course this means higher standards with the types of vehicles that qualify to drive as well.
Below is a list of eligible cars to drive for Uber Black.
Note: not all cars listed below will be eligible in every market. Please check with your local Uber rep.
- 7 series
- Range Rover
- Landrover LR4
- Range Rover
- Range Rover Sport
- Model S
So there you have it. Those are the car requirements for being an Uber Black driver.
Unless you already have the permits, carry the commercial car insurance, and own one of these more high-end sedans, I would not recommend starting on Uber Black because it is a lot more costly, but can theoretically make you more money with the higher fares.
Click on the link to Learn How to Become an Uber driver in 3 easy steps. If you have any questions leave a comment below.