Do you need a reliable, eco-friendly way to transport you and your family to the nearest airport in a timely manner?
Or, are you planning to redeem some serious skymiles on your next company trip, but dread the thought of booking a taxi or shuttle service once you land?
Look no further than SuperShuttle for all your airport shuttle needs.
From accommodating large groups to riding in style, SuperShuttle is meeting passenger transportation needs at full throttle.
SuperShuttle also serves as a profitable side hustle for those interested in banking some extra cash.
However, don’t take my word for it. Keep reading to see if SuperShuttle’s services are what you’re looking for.
Launched in Los Angeles in 1983, SuperShuttle International offers shared-ride, door-to-door services both to and from most major U.S. and international airports.
According to their website, the company is the “leader in airport transportation with over 30 years of experience and 150 million passengers served.”
Generally, rides are available in most cities 24 hours a day. SuperShuttle’s call centers and dispatch teams are also available to assist customers 24 hours a day.
Here are some of SuperShuttle’s most attractive features:
- 24/7 Online Booking: Reserve your next ride either to or from the airport using a computer or mobile device.
- Various Transport Options: Whether you’re traveling solo or in a group, SuperShuttle can make it happen.
- Free Cancellation Policy: There are free booking cancellations up to 2 hours before your ride arrives. Period.
- SuperShuttle Partner App: Book on-demand flights, chat in-app, and redeem airline rewards all in one spot.
- ADA Accessible Transport: SuperShuttle prides itself on offering ADA accessible vehicles when requested.
- Profitable Employment Options: Driving with SuperShuttle is a great way to bring in some extra money on your own time. You can even apply to drive using your own vehicle.
- Missed Flight Compensation: Travelers are provided no more than $200 per person for domestic flights and no more than $300 per person for international flights for company-faulted missed flights.
How Does SuperShuttle Work?
SuperShuttle reservations to the airport are required, while reservations from the airport are highly encouraged. Bookings to the airport are considered valid for the time and date requested, and reservations from the airport are considered valid for the date requested.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that not all airports permit on-demand bookings once you’ve landed (the “Ride Now” option both online and on the partner app is only available at participating airports).
Make sure to determine the specific airport’s booking policy, or complete a pre-paid reservation beforehand via online or the app.
In general, it’s highly recommended customers go ahead and reserve SuperShuttle rides at least 24 hours in advance.
How to Ride with SuperShuttle
To reserve a ride, you’ll need to disclose your pickup and dropoff location, the number of passengers, and if you need a return trip or wheelchair ramp/lift to ride. Know your flight arrival and return flight times. Then, select your ride and number of bags you’ll have before checking out.
After completing the reservation process, you’ll receive a confirmation receipt via email. Even if you do make any last-minute adjustments to a ride or even cancel a booking, an updated notice will be sent to you. Passengers may experience rate changes or incur additional charges for any reservation adjustments.
A SuperShuttle account is not required to book a reservation through the company’s website; however, an account is required to take advantage of SuperShuttle’s mobile, pre-paid reservation process.
If you book a pre-paid ride using SuperShuttle’s mobile app, you can choose to receive text messages on your mobile device. You’ll then be prompted to initialize the self check-in process via text message alert.
Rides To the Airport
SuperShuttle service to the airport can be broken down into 4 easy steps:
- Book Your Reservation: Book your ride through SuperShuttle’s website, through SuperShuttle’s app, or via phone with SuperShuttle reps. If a traveler selects a pick-up time different from the list of recommended pre-set times, the passenger not only does so at their own risk, but the reservation becomes ineligible for a refund.
- Provide “Day of Travel” Phone Number: It’s integral that passengers requesting rides to the airport provide a phone number their SuperShuttle driver can call during the reservation process. Failure to comply here may result in being turned down for service.
- Wait for Your Ride: Travelers must be ready to board with luggage in hand at the start of the pre-specified, 15-minute pick-up window and remain waiting until ride arrives. Failure to comply here may result in being turned down for service.
- Enjoy Your Ride: Sit back, relax, and know that SuperShuttle will get you to the airport in a timely manner.
Rides From the Airport
SuperShuttle’s service from the airport can be broken down into 5 easy steps:
- Book Your Reservation: Make sure you’ve booked your ride through SuperShuttle’s website, through SuperShuttle’s app, via phone with SuperShuttle reps, or at the airport. You’ll receive a confirmation receipt to the email you’ve specified.
- Check-In: Notify the driver you’ve checked in by either utilizing SuperShuttle’s mobile check-in feature or by simply visiting a SuperShuttle ticket counter or computerized kiosk at the airport.
- Locate Your Ride: You can monitor the status of your ride through either the convenient Vehicle Locator service on SuperShuttle’s website or SuperShuttle’s in-app vehicle tracking option.
- Gather Your Luggage: Before your ride arrives, make sure all of your luggage is in hand and ready to go. Wait times are typically contingent upon the number of passengers, amount of terminal stops, traffic conditions, and weather outlook.
- Enjoy Your Ride: Sit back, relax, and let SuperShuttle safely transport you to your next destination.
How to Drive with SuperShuttle
SuperShuttle proudly offers various employment opportunities for qualifying individuals. Drivers have the choice to transport travelers either using a SuperShuttle van or their own personal vehicle.
Similar to other ridesharing companies, SuperShuttle allows partnering drivers to be their own boss.
Paid weekly, drivers can make their own schedules, driving as much (or as little) as they’d like. Even better, there aren’t any start-up fees!
Drive the Blue Van
To drive one of SuperShuttle’s vans, interested applicants must meet the following criteria:
- At least 21 years old
- Holds a valid, state-issued driver’s license & clean driving record
- Speaks English
- Practices excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Desires a successful career with SuperShuttle
Drive Your Own Van
To drive your own vehicle as a SuperShuttle driver, interested applicants must meet the above criteria along with having liability insurance and favorable customer service ratings.
There are specific vehicle requirements involved with driving your own van for SuperShuttle:
- Well-maintained, full-size car, van, mini-van, cross-over, or SUV
- Excellent mechanical condition with no visible damage
- 5-model year or less old
- Most vehicle colors are approved
SuperShuttle offers a variety of shuttle options so travelers can choose what fits them best:
- Shared Riding Experience: This option is ideal for families, large groups, solo passengers, or business passengers traveling on a budget. Since stops are made along the way, pick-up times are determined 2-3 hours before any scheduled flights.
- Non-Stop Shuttle Service: This shuttle option is ideal for groups, families, and business travelers needing an un-shared, direct transportation solution.
- ExecuCar Luxury Vehicles: This option is ideal for couples, single passengers, and business passengers wanting a more luxurious riding experience. Travelers can choose a black sedan or black SUV, and curbside (“Will Call”) pickup is an option. Passengers must comply with ExecuCar’s terms and conditions.
- SuperShuttle for Business: SuperShuttle is proud to offer reliable transportation solutions for a variety of industries, ranging from corporate and military travel to campus transportation.
- Group/VIP Transportation: SuperShuttle representatives are happy to help travelers put together a seamless Group/VIP transportation plan. Whether you have a small group or more than 50 people, they’ve got your back.
Pricing & Payment Options
SuperShuttle’s pricing is generally gauged as somewhere in-between public transit services and a taxi cab. Even though pricing does vary from city to city, passengers can expect a flat fee regardless of the hour.
Any advanced reservations must be paid at the time of booking.
There are several other ways passengers can pay for their SuperShuttle reservations:
- Direct Bill: Customer accounts are billed once a booking is submitted and processed.
- Fare Tickets: The originally issued ticket can only be redeemed. Purchased fare tickets are considered non-refundable if not redeemed within a 30-day time frame.
- Company Vouchers: Original voucher must be presented to driver at time of payment. Customers are responsible for providing additional payment, if needed. Vouchers are only a form of payment, and expired vouchers aren’t redeemable.
- Third-Party Vouchers: The guidelines for company vouchers also apply to third-party vouchers.
- Discount Codes: Valid discount codes can be redeemed by travelers unless booking a reservation via phone.
Travelers are given the option to tip their drivers either in-person or online. A pre-selected tip percentage is automatically added to your booking subtotal unless tipping in-person using the “Tip-In Person” option.
To both protect the business as a whole and to comply with federal, state, and local laws, SuperShuttle has put in place a handful of company-wide policies:
Child Policy. Children under the age of sixteen must be accompanied by an adult. Some federal, state, or local laws may require small children to be secured in a child safety seat. Child restraint seats are not included in SuperShuttle bookings, and passengers may run the risk of being denied service without providing one on their own.
Pet Policy. This policy ensures passenger protection and adequate luggage space (including oversized baggage). Pets must be kenneled. For example, a lap carrier is permitted for animals under 25 pounds, while a Non-Stop Van reservation must be made for pets exceeding 25 pounds. Passenger pet allergies can’t be accommodated.
Service Animal Policy. The guidelines regarding SuperShuttle’s general pet policy also apply to the company’s Service Animal policy in all but one area. Per the ADA, kennel restrictions for general pets don’t apply to service animals.
Oversized and Extra Luggage Policy. Luggage policies closely align with airport luggage requirements. Two checked bags and two carry-on items per passenger always ride free! Certain luggage, such as oversized baggage, can be transported at extra charge (see SuperShuttle’s website for a detailed fee breakdown).
Lost & Found Policy. Travelers are held responsible for any luggage they bring along. SuperShuttle drivers and the company assume no liability for damaged, lost, or stolen items. SuperShuttle tries to help recover misplaced items, but lost & found items might need to be shipped or delivered to passengers at their own expense.
Personal Identification Policy. For fares over $250, SuperShuttle drivers reserve the right to ask a traveler to provide an approved form of personal identification. In some cases, if provided information doesn’t match records on file, SuperShuttle may be unable to accommodate said passenger.
Smoking Policy. Smoking is not permitted in any SuperShuttle vehicles.
User Error Policy. Passengers need to ensure that all information provided during the reservation process is both accurate and complete. SuperShuttle is not responsible for the customer’s user error.
Pros of SuperShuttle
- Free Cancellation Policy: Passengers canceling bookings up to 2 hours before ride arrival aren’t charged. Travelers may qualify for a refund during an airline delay when a replacement reservation is set in stone.
- 24/7 Online Booking: In most cases, SuperShuttle rides can be booked 24/7 either directly through their website or on their mobile partner app.
- Airline Rewards Program: SuperShuttle partners with popular airlines so travelers can earn airline rewards. Make sure you book online, know your account number, and the name on your booking matches your airline miles account.
- SuperShuttle Travel: SuperShuttle Travel is a subset of SuperShuttle International offering exclusive hotel discounts for individuals and groups. Travelers can save up to 77% with discounts using this free service.
- SuperShuttle Partner App (iOS/Android): With the app, travelers can conveniently book on-demand airport rides while live chatting customer service. Download the app via the Apple Store or Google Play Store.
- SuperShuttle Profile: Setting up an account not only provides travelers with a streamlined check-out process, but also permits users to manage account information. You can view previous rides, cancel rides, and discover exclusive discounts.
- ADA Exceptional Service: SuperShuttle is proud to accommodate travelers with accessibility needs. When booking a ride, specify whether you will require an accessible vehicle (i.e., wheelchair ramp) or service animal transport.
Cons of SuperShuttle
- Restricted Service Locations: The majority of service locations in the United States are restricted. While most of the East and West coasts are covered, SuperShuttle does not operate in most central states.
- Booking Refund Parameters: Reservations entered in their queue less than two hours in advance of requested pick-up time are non-refundable reservations. Bookings made via phone are also non-refundable.
- Customer Service Issues: Some passengers have reported unfavorable customer service. Although these testimonials don’t speak for all, complaints ranged from unreliable transports to reckless driving.
- Pet Restrictions: Kennel guidelines must be followed for pets other than service animals.
The Bottom Line
For most passengers, SuperShuttle offers a wide range of airport transportation options at competitively low rates.
Compared to traditional public transit services or taxi cabs, SuperShuttle conveniently accommodates both solo travelers and large groups with the click of a button (or two).
However, make sure to conduct your own research and compare rates before choosing any shuttle service.
Also, for those wanting to invest in a profitable side hustle, consider becoming a driving partner with SuperShuttle.
The next time you’re traveling to or from the airport, trust SuperShuttle to meet all your transportation needs.