If you’re looking for a side hustle as a rideshare driver, but want to check out a vehicle before purchasing it, then Maven Gig is a good option to consider.
Investing in a vehicle for the sole purpose of driving for a rideshare company is a huge step, especially for first-timers.
With a car-sharing app like Maven Gig, there is no need to spend a lot of money or use your personal vehicle to make some cash rideshare driving.
Instead, you can simply rent the car of your choice and use it for ridesharing purposes.
About the Company
Owned by General Motors, Maven is a shared vehicle marketplace established in 2016.
Available in 24 U.S. cities and 3 countries, Maven is organized into specific tiers:
- Maven Home, or car-sharing for residential-based communities.
- Maven Peer, or simply car-sharing.
- Maven Gig, or a car rental program for mainly gig economy workers.
Maven Gig provides Chevrolet cars to rideshare and delivery drivers while offering excellent value and unlimited miles.
The program offers Chevrolet cars in 4 categories – compact, sedan, crossover, and electric.
Maven Gig is available in cities such as San Diego, San Francisco, Boston, Los Angeles, Phoenix, New York City, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., Austin, and Detroit.
If you want to become a rideshare driver in any of these locations, go ahead and easily rent a car through the Maven Gig App.
How Maven Gig Works
Whenever you reserve a car through Maven Gig, customers can drive for any company they want.
For example, you could drive for ridesharing companies like Uber or Lyft, or take a different direction with grocery, food, or package delivery services like Grubhub.
Before you can rent a car through Maven Gig, you must meet all driver qualifications required by Maven:
- You must be 21 years of age or older.
- You must have a valid U.S. driver’s license.
- You must accept Maven’s Terms of Service and GM’s Privacy Statement.
If you plan to use the car for rideshare driving, then you must also meet all of the qualifications to be a rideshare driver.
Apart from being 21 years of age or older and having a valid U.S. driver’s license, you need to pass the company’s background check and have a clean driving record.
How to Rent a Car with Maven Gig
Signing up with Maven Gig is extremely simple and only takes a few minutes. Even better, your Maven Gig lifetime membership is free.
Before renting a car through Maven Gig, you must complete a few administrative-based requirements:
Maven Gig Account
To get started, you need to download the Maven Gig app and create your own Maven Gig account.
This is required for new members or if you’d like to rent a vehicle for commercial use.
If you already have a Maven City account, then you can simply enroll online with Maven Gig. To do this, click on the “More” button and then choose the option “Switch to Maven Gig.”
After creating your account, you must complete the enrollment process. This process requires both a valid credit card and a state-issued driver’s license.
Once you receive a verification email, verify your Maven Gig account by clicking on the link in the email. Maven Gig will not be able to process your application until you have verified your account.
An individual applying for a car does not have to be an approved Uber or Lyft driver before enrolling with Maven Gig.
However, it’s always a good idea to gain approval as a rideshare driver before renting a car, especially since the rental costs can be quite high.
Reserving a car with Maven Gig is quite simple, since all you need to do is book the vehicle using the Maven app once your account is approved.
Whenever you make a reservation, Maven Gig will put a hold of $250 on your credit card for one week’s rental charges, fees, taxes, and any incidental charges.
It’s important to note this is only a hold, so no money will actually be taken from your account.
For first-timers, Maven Gig’s car reservation process is quite simple:
- First, open up the app, click on “Find A Car,” then choose an available car.
- Once you select a car, enter the pickup date and return date before clicking “Reserve.”
- Next, you’ll schedule an appointment to pick up the vehicle.
- You’ll be greeted by a Maven Gig team member at your appointment. You must show your state-issued driver’s license when picking up the car.
- Once you pick up the car, you’re all set to enroll with any of the ridesharing or delivery companies you want.
If you’re driving for a rideshare company, like Uber or Lyft, you’ll need to provide vehicle-related information, such as year, make, model, and VIN number. Some companies may also request proof of car insurance.
After reserving your car, Maven Gig gives you an insurance card or COI (Certificate of Insurance) listing all the details required by the ridesharing or delivery platforms.
Once you enter all of these details on the ridesharing app, you can start driving and make bank.
Maven Gig offers several attractive service features that are certainly worth taking a look at:
Maven Gig provides auto insurance while you use their vehicles. The insurance (minus the deductible) is included, along with the weekly rental you pay.
Maven Gig will help you with vehicle maintenance. If your vehicle needs repairs but can be driven, then drive to one of the Maven Gig approved repair facilities.
If you are not near any service center, then call Maven Gig. You’ll be directed to one of the repair facilities in Maven Gig’s Fleet Management network.
When you provide vehicle information while getting any repair done, the payment will be made through the Element Fleet Management account on your behalf.
Maven Gig proudly offers 24/7 roadside assistance.
Either call the assistance number or push the blue-colored “OnStar” button inside the vehicle and Maven Gig will take care of everything for you.
No Early Penalty
Maven Gig does not charge you any penalty if you want to return your vehicle early. Once you rent a car, you’re free to return it at any time after a week.
Maven Gig has an exclusive Facebook Group that you can join. In this group, members share their favorite “Maven Moments” or tips with other fellow drivers.
Plans and Pricing
The prices for Maven Gig cars are charged on a weekly rate basis:
- Compact (like Chevrolet Cruze): $199 per week
- Sedan (like Chevrolet Malibu): $199 per week
- Crossover (like Chevrolet Trax): $199 per week
- Electric Car (like Chevrolet Bolt EV): $229 per week
Prices are likely to change and can be very different on a city by city basis.
There are several advantages to renting a vehicle through Maven Gig:
- Maven Gig has partnerships with Uber, Lyft, Roadie, Deliv, and GrubHub, all companies offering excellent earning potential for drivers.
- The newer Chevrolet model cars have lower weekly rates, including insurance, maintenance, unlimited miles, and 24/7 roadside assistance.
- The Chevrolet Bolt EV (electric model) is ideal for those wanting to avoid fuel costs since this rental includes free charging.
Although there are many reasons to rent through Maven Gig, there are disadvantages to keep in mind:
- Maven Gig’s rental price is quite high compared to other companies; however, the program does offer many attractive perks.
- Maven has fewer cars available than other companies, and many drivers say it is difficult to rent a vehicle easily.
If you’d like to take a different route from the more traditional car rental process, then check out Maven Gig.
From exclusive partnerships with popular ridesharing and delivery companies to attractive service offerings, Maven’s got the perfect ride for you.
Enrollment is easy, pricing is competitive, and electric models are even available for environmentally conscious customers.
If you still aren’t sold, head over to Maven’s website and read some inspiring “Maven Moments” or tips from fellow drivers.
Maven takes car rentals to the next level – don’t you want to join the movement?