Getting your food delivered right to your doorstep any time of the day is not only an enticing option; it is super convenient, too.
GrubHub is a food delivery service that provides its users with an easy-to-use platform, which not only shows you the various options of local restaurants delivering to your area but also brings the food right to your door.
Started in 2004 in Chicago, GrubHub is the most popular online ordering service in the U.S.
GrubHub is a restaurant pickup and online food delivery service that spans over 1,000 major cities with a network of over 40,000 participating restaurants and over 7 million active diners across the U.S.
The success of GrubHub can be attributed to its superior customer experience on both ends.
For the diners, GrubHub offers a fully-cooked meal within a few minutes of placing an order.
For restaurants, GrubHub’s online ordering platform offers a boost in takeout sales and also improves the efficiency of order processing.
Diners can also track the status of their orders on their mobile devices via the GrubHub app.
How Does GrubHub Work?
GrubHub essentially allows you to order from local restaurants.
You can pick up the food at the restaurant or have it delivered to wherever you want at an extra charge. The online ordering system of GrubHub is very simple and straightforward.
You can order the food online or download the app on your Android or iOS device and order food.
And, in just a few steps, you can have your favorite dish from your go-to restaurant delivered right at your doorstep.
Steps to Order via GrubHub
- When you type in your address on the GrubHub app, it shows you the restaurants that deliver to your address and also restaurants near you available for pickup.
- Look for the kind of food you would like to eat by browsing through the takeout places or restaurants.
- By browsing through the ratings and the reviews, you can pick a restaurant you like.
- You can also search by restaurant name, cuisine, or menu item.
- Browse through the menu of the restaurant and pick the food and beverages you want and place your order by phone or online, free of cost, and checkout.
- Have your food delivered right to your home or place of work and enjoy your meal.
Advantages of GrubHub for Customers
If you’re not really sure of the dining options in your area, GrubHub offers you a single view of all the restaurants that deliver food to your address.
All you have to do is register with your email and put in your address.
Simple and Convenient
Now there is no need to go through so many takeout menus or call to place your order.
You can simply browse the GrubHub website or app and see all the options of food available conveniently on your laptop, smartphone, or tablet.
Get Your Food Delivered to Your Doorstep
With GrubHub, there is no need for you to rush all over town or even go over to the restaurant to pick up your food.
When you place your order, GrubHub conveniently delivers the food right at your doorstep.
If you’re unsure of the quality of food, receiving the correct order, or getting a timely delivery, GrubHub has a review and rating system that lets you know what you can expect from a particular restaurant.
You can order after going through the ratings that are displayed on the restaurant menu at the top and reading the customer reviews at the bottom of the page.
Excellent Customer Support
GrubHub has a system that does not leave any room for errors.
However, in case something does go wrong with your order and you need help with it, the GrubHub customer support team is available to help you 24/7.
You can call them, chat with them, or send them a Tweet.
We have seen how GrubHub works from the diners’ point of view, let us now look at how GrubHub is in terms of working for the company, as part of the delivery team.
If you have a vehicle at your disposal and time to spare, then you may want to consider earning some extra money by delivering food for GrubHub.
Here we have reviewed the delivery services of GrubHub.
Read on to find out whether GrubHub is the venture you need to make some extra cash.
How Does GrubHub Delivery Work?
In 2013, GrubHub merged with Seamless, a popular food delivery service that now allows food ordering and delivery for customers.
You can use any vehicle you own- your car, motorcycle, scooter or bicycle and sign up with GrubHub to deliver food.
GrubHub delivery drivers are usually independent contractors who sign up and work in multi-hour blocks or shifts.
The delivery drivers utilize the mobile app on the smartphone to accept offers.
They then pick up a food order from the restaurant and deliver it to the customer.
Usually, the GrubHub delivery driver works within the boundaries of a zoned map that is provided by the app.
When a driver is in the zoned area, they turn their status to “active,” which means that they are available to take on deliveries.
Signing up for a GrubHub Delivery Job
- You can check out GrubHub’s requirements from their online application.
- Before you actually fill out the online application, make sure that you can deliver for GrubHub in your state.
- You can then select the cities that you would be interested in delivering in.
- The application form also has some short answer and multiple-choice questions that you need to answer about yourself. For example, why do you want to work for GrubHub?
- If there is a delivery job available in your particular area, and you have your car insurance and state ID ready, then your application can be expedited.
- The other requirements for drivers include:
- You must be 19 years of age and 21 years (in Chicago).
- You should have a driving experience of 2 or more years.
- You must have an Android or iOS smartphone with a data plan.
- You should have a checking account that accepts direct deposits.
- You must pass the background verification check.
Once your application is successfully accepted, you will need to attend a training session and get started as soon as your training is complete.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a GrubHub Delivery Job
Below are some of the pros and cons of working with GrubHub as a delivery person:
- The job offers a lot of flexibility and you can work whenever you want. You can select your shift at the start of the week and choose if you want to make deliveries in the day or at night. You can also decide the days you want to take off.
- Every delivery person is supported by a driver specialist who is in charge of your training and also addressing any job-related queries and concerns.
- GrubHub has an extremely large customer base and claims to serve around 300,000 orders in a day. So, taking up a job in food delivery can keep you quite busy.
- The app makes things extremely simple. As a delivery person, all you have to do is pick up the order, check if all the items are there, and deliver it.
- It is extremely convenient to work for GrubHub as the payments are made online.
- Although delivering food for GrubHub is extremely easy and you can earn extra cash, after a while, it can become monotonous.
- There is quite a lot of competition when it comes to scheduling and availability of blocks as the scheduling occurs on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Since you will be working as an independent contractor for GrubHub, you will not receive the perks and medical benefits of a full-time employee.
- You need to have your own financial support system i.e. if you are using your car for making deliveries, then you need to pay the auto insurance, bear the maintenance cost of your vehicle, etc.
Making Money Working with GrubHub Delivery
- You can make around $5 per delivery and if you make less than $12 in an hour, GrubHub will pay you the difference.
- You can keep 100% of the tips you get from customers while delivering food for GrubHub.
- The minimum amount that you can earn making deliveries for GrubHub depends on the minimum wage requirement of the particular city.
- However, irrespective of where your location is, the more deliveries, the more the money you can earn.
Some ways to increase your earnings by making GrubHub deliveries are:
- You can sign up for more blocks of time.
- Choose areas that have a higher density of takeout restaurants.
- Try and choose delivery during dinner hours, as this is the time when the orders, as well as the tips, are the largest.
- Sign up for times when people order the most i.e. during bad weather, during sporting events, etc.
- There are some expenses that you will incur such as gas (although GrubHub reimburses $0.50 per mile for gas), maintenance costs, insurance, car charger, a mount for your smartphone, etc.
Getting a job in GrubHub food delivery is not very difficult; however, you should ensure that it is worth whatever costs you are incurring to make the deliveries.
Just a few hours of work may not leave a lot of money to take home.
So overall, to evaluate if GrubHub is a good option for you, you need to assess the following.
As a GrubHub customer, evaluate the services of GrubHub vis-à-vis the other competitors in your city. Also look up the reviews of GrubHub’s delivery service in your specific city to decide whether it is the right one for you.
And, as a GrubHub delivery person, you need to determine whether you are making enough money delivering food for GrubHub to makes it worth your while.