The best part about shopping online today is that orders will arrive at your doorstep in the click of a few buttons. It’s really that simple.
For busy families or working individuals, gone are the days of getting in your car to pick up groceries, books, or other items you may need at any given time.
The market has not only become so saturated, but most online retailers are now also offering same-day delivery due to this market competition.
While bigger companies can afford to build extensive delivery networks, most smaller companies can’t spend as much time and resources on this endeavor.
This is where California-based, crowdsourced, same-day delivery startup Deliv comes into the picture.
Founded in 2012 by Daphne Carmeli, Deliv hires independent drivers to set up delivery networks.
These networks can then be accessed by any shops and companies that need deliveries to be made in a timely manner, but don’t have access to their own network.
For drivers, it is a great way to earn some extra money while maintaining a flexible schedule.
Or, if you are wanting a side hustle, working as a Deliv driver could serve as a passive form of income for you and your family.
Better yet, some of Deliv’s most popular partners include retail giants such as Bed, Bath and Beyond, Walgreens, and Best Buy.
How Does Deliv Work?
Currently servicing 35 markets, Deliv allows its customers to schedule a delivery by picking a delivery time and destination. Customers can also easily track packages mile by mile within the delivery time frame selected.
On the driver’s side, Deliv has an easy and convenient sign-up process.
There also aren’t too many eligibility requirements to register as a driver, and all of the prerequisites are reasonable for the job at hand.
Deliv gives its drivers great flexibility in choosing the hours they would like to work, using their own personal car and an easy-to-use mobile app. Great schedule flexibility means drivers can book their hours a week in advance, or just decide the day of.
There are no worries about creating a mess in your car, as driving for Deliv does not involve delivering any hot food or giving rides to passengers.
Deliv also has a great support team that’s happy to help whenever you encounter delivery difficulties on your end.
Keep in mind that Deliv services are only available in select cities. Although this list may be subject to change, Deliv currently serves the following cities:
- Kansas City
- Grand Rapids
- San Antonio
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- SF Peninsula/South Bay
- Orange County
- Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
- NY – Brooklyn/Queens, Manhattan, Yonkers
- Washington, DC
- Northern New Jersey
Deliv’s Service Features
Deliv offers several service features that may attract those interested in the delivery industry:
Customizable Delivery Windows
As a customer, you can select your delivery or pick up times during the scheduling process so deliveries are made during the time frames you select.
Flexible Work Hours
As a driver with Deliv, you have the option of choosing the hours you want to work and creating a custom work schedule.
Work hours can be scheduled up to a week in advance or on the day of.
Auto Insurance Included
As a company, Deliv arranges for auto insurance so that you’re covered from the moment your merchandise is picked up by the driver to the time it is delivered to you.
In the case of a car accident, Deliv covers any sustained damages with their own auto insurance policy in case your personal insurance provider denies the claim.
Technology for Efficiency
Deliv uses efficient technologies, like GPS-enabled smartphones and omni-channel, to ensure deliveries are completed quickly and in a cost-effective manner. Also, the entire process occurs online.
How Can I Start Working for Deliv?
If you’re a driver looking to register with Deliv, there are certain eligibility requirements that you must meet.
These specific requirements are listed below:
- You must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- At least one year of driving experience is necessary.
- You will need to have a smartphone with a data plan.
- You must have access to a vehicle that is 15 years old or newer.
- Your vehicle must have working air conditioning.
- You will need to pass both a background check and a driving record check.
- A state-issued driver’s license is mandatory.
- The vehicle must be registered, even if it’s not in your name.
- You must have proof of auto insurance.
- You must be physically capable of lifting up to 50 pounds.
- You must practice good customer service skills and be fluent in English.
Plans and Pricing
For customers, Deliv’s pricing starts at about $12.50 for a 3-hour, same-day delivery. There’s no set-up fees or minimum volume requirements either.
Deliv’s website also features a “Get A Quick Quote” option that can help you quickly obtain the approximate cost of a particular service.
There are several plans to choose from that cater to a broad range of markets. Deliv’s current plans include Deliv Small Business, Deliv Enterprise, Deliv Fresh, and most recently, Deliv RX.
How Much Can I Earn with Deliv?
For drivers, you will be paid an hourly “Time on Task” rate, as well as a mileage rate of at least $0.50/mile for deliveries.
The “Time on Task” rate varies – typically between $13 and $18 – with most Deliv drivers making about $15-$22 per hour.
The company also offers a “Minimum Settlement Program.” This means that even if you don’t receive any deliveries during your booked time, Deliv pays you half of the “Time on Task” rate for your time.
The payment to drivers is through PayPal, so if you don’t have an account already, you will be required to set one up.
Similar to other common delivery services, this company features many advantages:
For Deliv Drivers
- Due to the company’s age requirements, younger drivers can earn an income.
- Extensive driving experience isn’t required.
- Hours are flexible and work schedules can be customized.
- The Minimum Settlement Program ensures your time on the clock isn’t wasted.
- Customer support is there to assist drivers with any delivery troubles.
- Auto insurance is provided if your personal insurance denies the claim.
For Deliv Consumers
- The services are cost-effective, especially if you have a smaller business.
- Tracking and picking up packages is an easy, straightforward process.
- Packaging costs are reduced because of Deliv’s same-day delivery option.
- There’s an option to rate your Deliv experience and driver online.
For those interested in Deliv’s offerings, it’s important to be aware of potential disadvantages:
For Deliv Drivers
- While Deliv expands to more markets, there have been cases where the number of deliveries is limited. This means you may waste quite a bit of time.
- There isn’t enough demand to make deliveries one’s sole source of income.
- The scope of deliveries can sometimes be quite large.
- Deliv drivers must pay for their own gas.
For Deliv Consumers
- Prices may be on the higher side for select delivery services.
- For new customers, it may be hard to navigate the technicalities.
Final Take on Deliv
Deliv is a convenient delivery option that caters to the average American’s busy lifestyle.
Safe, dependable, and affordable, Deliv is the new kid on the block in comparison to traditional courier services.
Whether you’re interested in making some extra cash as a driver or you simply need to schedule a same-day delivery, make sure to check out what Deliv has to offer.
With Deliv, you get what you want when you need it. It’s as simple as that.